Friday 24 February 2012

Don't Clip Their Wings


In the news article “The Art of Distraction,” writer Hanif Kureishi asserts that medicating many conditions such as ADD and Dyslexia and treating them as diseases may stifle a child’s creativity. First, he asks what qualifies as a condition, as his inability to neither speak Russian nor dance the tango are not medicated or treated as a failure of development. Second, sometimes distractions are a good thing, because it is good to pause and let good, creative ideas come to the mind. Third, Kureishi suggests that perhaps the child’s creativity is being suppressed by such drugs as Ritalin only to benefit the parents, because they see that there is a problem where a child may see an opportunity to break free from their regular routine and try something else that stimulates them and will most likely benefit them in the future.

Kureishi, Hanif. "The Art of Distraction." New York Times. 18 Feb. 2012. Web. 24 
           Feb. 2012. <http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/opinion/sunday/the-art-of-
           distraction.html>.

I loved that this article was written by a writer who struggles with learning disorders. No facts or numbers, but pure, raw emotion. This shows that there are many people who don't want to be medicated, and feel stifled by it. Kureishi found the beauty-- the gift-- in his curse. He poses the question: Are these really conditions? Or are they wings that allow children to fly? He found that, although he had a rough childhood coping with such "disorders," he feels as though they have helped him in the long run. This testimony shows that medication is not necessarily necessary, and in fact may even be harmful. 

4 comments:

  1. This article really relates to me because I also have ADD. I found this article really interesting because I really always thought of ADD in a negative perspective instead of positive light. I completely agree that it can suppress children’s creativity, but I also believe it helps many kids. It helps me to focus more, and since being on medication my grades have improved tremendously. But this article has showed the positive side of ADD, and I love that the author was ADD himself. Great job Jasmine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this side of your argument. Although it has crossed my mind that parents may be medicating their children in an attempt to calm them, I have never thought about the affects medication can have on a child's ability to feel free and creative. I like how you explored the perspective of the patient, whether they actually want to be medicated or not. Your new blog post is well written, as usual, and continues to hold my attention. Good Job and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly enjoyed reading this side of your argument and find your post to be very intriguing. Even though I have thought that parents may be giving their children medication to reduce their anxiety, lack of focus, and energy, it has never crossed my mind that the medication could be preventing them from creativity and freedom. I like how you get into detail about whether the children are all right with the fact that their parents are forcing them to take the medication. Your previous blog posts were very well written, but I believe that this post is even better. I am much more fascinated with this post than the previous one and I know that your next post will be even better. Keep on doing what you are doing because I see no faults in your past and present blog posts. Great job Jasmine!


    -Karen Lefferts

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your blog posts are meaningful and engaging, which makes for a great blog full of food for thought. Also, the topic you have chosen is a very interesting one, I have never really considered the arguments your blog poses, neither was I aware of the enormity of this issue. The interest in this topic was displayed though your extra links and features on the side bar that make your page even more intriguing. Your blog was very well organized and I really enjoyed reading the posts, great job Jasmine!

    ReplyDelete