Wednesday 8 February 2012

Overdiagnosis is a MYTH

In “The Overmedicated Myth,” journalist Hannah Seligson asserts that people with mental disorders are appropriately diagnosed and medicated, maybe even too little. First, the overdiagnosis issue is exacerbated by media concentration and, surprisingly, the fact that nowadays it is more common for people to marry and reproduce with others who are more similar to them, maximizing mental disorders in the gene pool. Second, the amount of children with mental disorders are not as high as expected with only about 5 percent being medicated, 5 to 20 percent having a disorder, and 3 to 5 percent of children have ADD. Next, a large reason for increased diagnosis lies not in the capriciousness of today’s doctors, but its better diagnostics and treatments that did not exist thirty years ago. Finally, it is not overdiagnosis, but underdiagnosis that is an issue, as the people who most need the medication cannot afford the tests to attain the proper diagnosis.

Seligson, Hannah. "The Overmedicated Myth." Editorial. The Daily Beast. GaleNet
       Greenhaven Press. Web. 08 Feb. 2012. <http://find.galegroup.com/>.
 
This is the first opinion I have ever heard which argued that overdiagnosis was not a problem. Seligson did very well in quoting experts and showing the facts with little bias. The statistics and evidence she gave were very convincing and she did a good job of swaying me, where before I was adamant that overdiagnosis was an issue. This article was persuasive and concrete. Though there was no real creativity or hook that would have drawn me in if I had not been required to read an opposing viewpoint, Seligson somehow managed to keep my attention once she had it. I thought the supported opinion presented in this article was very interesting and made me want to read more about the positive side to increased diagnosis.

11 comments:

  1. Great opposing view. I really have never though about this being an issue. good topic. nice fish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connor, do you need to check the commentary requirements? Let's talk if you need help.

      Delete
  2. I must say that there is very little if not anything to critique you on. I have never thought about this topic being that big of an issue either. Reading this actually makes me feel a bit naive on what is happening. I am certain that I am not the only one who is unfamiliar with this topic and hopefully people can learn about it from your blog. Keep up the good work Jasmine! I can't wait to see what you blog next!

    -Karen Lefferts
    P.S I like the fish :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit that I thought your opinion was biased when you began your research. As someone who has family members who have been diagnosed with attention disorders, I am glad that you are open to examining both sides of the issue. Perhaps a good follow up might be to evaluate an article from the perspective of someone with ADD/ADHD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you for the advice for a next blog post, Ms. Canonge!

      Delete
  4. This is a good opposing viewpoint and it is good that you are taking into consideration that underdiagnosis is also a possible issue. Though, based on my experiences and your past blog posts I still sway to the side of overdiagnosis and I feel that is the bigger issue, and if underdiagnosis is an issue, it is dramatically less of an issue than overdiagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to start off by saying that this, as well as your last post, is amazingly written. You have continued to capture and hold my attention. Although this is a strong point, I am still swaying towards your first argument. However, the article from Ms Seligson was summarized very well and made me think about this side of the topic. In addition, I find your sidebar to be quite captivating and it really got my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never had thought about the fact that we are marrying people like us, so we are basically breeding more people with mental disorders. It makes a good point that maybe people are not being over diagnosed. After reading your previous article though I still am leaning towards people are being over diagnosed. I believe that our generation just has a shorter attention span because of the technology we use. Very nice work on covering both view point Jasmine! I cannot wait to continue to read your blog and see how you further look into this!
    ~Caroline Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seligson's idea that underdiagnosis is the real problem is very interesting. The idea that we aren't diagnosing enough is startling to me. I have always thought that overdiagnosis was real and that it was a problem. Even though she makes a great argument here about it not being a problem, I personally wasn't swayed to her viewpoint. The info provided was well presented and organized. I look forward to your research on the opposing viewpoint and the evidence provided by these people.

    ReplyDelete